Saturday 29 September 2018

Dollar Shave Club Review

For the last few years, it seems that the Dollar Shave Club has been advertised all over the place. After being advertised somewhat extensively for years, the company was bought by Unilever in 2016 for an estimated $1billion. It’s safe to say since then, advertising has only increased.

But are their products as good as they state, or are they just trying to sell you a cheap razor at a more expensive price? Well, I tried the Dollar Shave Club myself and I’ve decided to relive that experience with you so that you can learn from my investment.

The Dollar Shave Club Review – Trial

I signed up to the £5 trial (I’m in the UK) and soon came the package. With the Dollar Shave Club, with the trial you get the razor handle and 4 cartridge blades. It was also accompanied by a bunch of useless packaging that was trying to upsell the product, even though I’d already signed up for the most expensive razor. They also include a sizeable Dr Carver’s Shave Butter, which makes the trial pretty worth it for the cost.

I signed up for the Executive Razor handle, which I felt (and still feel) is pretty high quality. You also get 4 of their six blades razors, which have an aloe vera strip on them too. I also felt that these looked pretty decent, and after unboxing I was pretty happy with myself for purchasing.

The Shave

Usually I like to shave in the shower. Because I have a bald head, usually I would only use a razor for the scalp and a beard trimmer for my face. But for the purposes of testing this out, I decided to go completely shaven. I also used a different razor blade for the scalp as I did for the beard, as commonly the hair on your hair can be thicker and more coarse.

After my shower, I lathered up my scalp and found the razor to be pretty great. It works well against the grain, and I didn’t really feel any irritation either. Usually, I use the Headblade and I definitely felt that this was a step up in comparison.

It also worked well on the face, and I didn’t experience any irritation that way either. I have to say I was particularly impressed with the DSC. So much so, that I’ve continued to use their products – or ones like them (I’ll elaborate in a minute) – ever since. I generally go through one razor blade a week, shaving my head every other day.

I also liked the Dr Carver’s shave butter, but I can’t say that it was dramatically better than some of the cheaper shaving creams that I’ve used.

The Bad Part – Cost

The main negative that I could see with the Dollar Shave Club is the expensive cost. Sure, the trial pack was nice and provided great value. But after this period, you’re expected to cough of £8 ($10) a month for 4 razor blades. That doesn’t take in to account the Shave Butter, which doesn’t last longer than a month either.

Fortunately, I found a loophole. 

I’ve since been ordered the Dorco Pace 6 Razor Blades from Amazon and using them. Dorco are the company that makes the DSC razor blades, and they provide the exact same product at a fraction of the price. When I bought them, they were less than half the cost of the ones from the Dollar Shave Club.

Sure, you have to buy them in bulk to get the best value but for me, this is a far better option. There’s not going to be a point where I don’t need to shave, so buying razors in bulk isn’t really an issue for me. And at a cheaper price, it is definitely worth going for the Dorco Pace 6 blades. You don’t need to worry about a new handle either – they work perfectly fine with the Executive handle from the DSC!

Sale
Dorco Pace 6 Plus- Six Blade Razor System with Trimmer- 12 Pack Refill (No Handle)
Dorco Pace 6 Plus- Six Blade Razor System with Trimmer- 12 Pack Refill (No Handle)
  • World's First Six Blade + Trimmer - Tests prove higher blade counts deliver a closer, less irritating shave
  • Patented Angulated Blade Platform - Seamless blade construction leaves fewer obstacles for debris accumulation
  • Patented Common Docking System - Cartridge and handle interchangeability for shaving customization
  • Open Flow Cartridge - 100% "rinse-ability" of hair follicles eliminates corrosion for a longer blade life
  • Lubrication Strip - Vitamin E, Aloe and Lavender soothe and moisturize skin

Conclusion

Overall, I can’t say that I recommend the Dollar Shave Club simply because of the expense. I mean, you could get the trial offer to give it a go and if you like it, opt for the razor blades from Dorco. This is probably the best option in my opinion, as you definitely get some value in the trial pack. But as a recurring subscription, I wouldn’t recommend it to my friends as it’s just too expensive.

The post Dollar Shave Club Review appeared first on Balding Life.



source https://baldinglife.com/dollar-shave-club-review/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keranique vs Rogaine Shampoo

Keranique and Rogaine are two of the big hitters in the hair loss market. If you’re experiencing hair loss and have been researching it, the...